Negative EV is a stock investing technique seeking cheap stocks which are selling at a price lower than their appraised liquidation valuation.
The screeners below list Negative EV stock candidates. Unlike the strategies on this website, Negative EV stocks cannot be bought mechanically, based on a quantitative algorithm alone. These screeners serve as a starting point for investors, who should continue and explore the unique situation of each candidate company and consider qualitative investing aspects as well.
However, these screeners are a HUGE time saver.
We believe we have devised the most sophisticated screeners available free today on the web. The screeners contain:
- The fs_score quality measure, as defined by Carlisle and Grey in “Quantitative Value.”
- NCAV (or Adjusted Net ASsets) % of Market Value, as a measure of cheapness. The higher the figure, the lower the valuation.
- NCAV (or Adjusted Net Assets) value % year-over-year, to determine the rate of asset burn.
Negative EV Stock Screener
Last update date – see rightmost column
Here are a few resources on Negative EV stocks, to get you started:
- A nice article on Negative EV, from The Broken Leg blog
- Musing on Markets – Prof. Damodaran on Negative EV
- Negative EV performance internationally, by the CFA Institute